Things we learned overhauling (not rebuilding) the engine in our 1992 Ford F-150 extended cab 4×4, v8 5.0L.
So while doing this, Mike decided to replace the oil pan gasket, since the truck has been leaking oil forever and that leak was getting worse.
How do you replace the oil pan gasket? Pull the engine or axle. He pulled the engine. It helps to have a friend with an engine lift.
This page contains notes on specs and procedures and is a work in progress. Ford used the 5.0L small block engine in trucks from at least 1987 to 1996 according to my Chilton’s manual.
- Battery group number: 65
- Firing order for 302 V8 engine: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
- Ignition timing: 10 degrees before top dead center
- OEM spark plug: Motorcraft ASF-42P
- Spark plug gap: 0.054 (54 thousandths of an inch)
Take your fuel injectors to a local shop (if you’re in a metro area) and have them cleaned/inspected.
Shop around, but in suburban Seattle the price was about the same as doing it from an online service. This is a lot less expensive that buying new ones, and the shop will tell you if one is bad. Don’t put them back in the engine without this step!
Timing Chain/Cover + Harmonic Balancer (Vibration Damper)
Details on removal and installation of the timing chain cover and harmonic balancer on a separate page.
- Remember to put a new front crank seal in while you have the timing cover off.
- Recommended on one of the Ford truck forums -> pulling timing chain cover on a Ford Mustang.
- The bolt which fastens the harmonic balancer (vibration damper) to the crank shaft may be a Torque-to-Yield bolt, which is a one-time use fastener. Replacement recommended (pdf). Good thread on installing harmonic balancer.
- Replaced the timing chain. Be sure to align the timing marks when valve #1 is at top-dead-center.
BoxWrench has a great set of YouTube videos:
Torque Specs Ford V8, 5.0 L, 302 Engine
From FelPro Torque Tables (pdf)
302 (5.0l) : Flanged Hex Head bolts: 1st 25-35, 2nd 45-55, 3rd turn 85-95 degrees
|Item||Torque ft #s|
|Alternator mounting bolts||to 20|
|Alternator pivot bolt||to 50|
|Alternator adjusting arm bolt||to 40|
|Intake manifold, upper to lower||12-18|
|Intake manifold, other||23-25|
|Cylinder head, w/flanged bolts||Step 1: 25-35|
|Step 2: 45-55|
|Step 3: 90|
|Cylinder head, wout/flanged bolts||Step 1: 55-65|
|Step 2: 65-72|
|Sources: Chilton’s, AllData, etc. Not forums.|
|The following data sourced from BoxWrench
Verify your engine specs with a service manual for your year and model; always torque bolts in three equal increments.
|Bolts or Parts||Lube or Sealer||Torque to:|
(Transmission to Block)
|Engine Oil||25 ft-lbs.|
|Cam Bolt (upper gear)||Thread Locker||40 ft-lbs.|
|Camshaft Thrust Plate||Thread Locker||10 ft-lbs.|
|Thread Locker||90 ft-lbs.|
|Clutch Pressure Plate||Thread Locker||35 ft-lbs.|
260, 289, 302
*289HP and Boss 302
|Engine Oil||25 ft-lbs.
|Cylinder Heads||Engine oil
|Thread Locker||85 ft-lbs.|
|Front Cover||Engine Oil||20 ft-lbs.|
(Cast Iron Heads)
|Non-Hardening Sealer||25 ft-lbs.|
|Main Caps||Engine Oil||70 ft-lbs.|
|Oil Pump||Engine Oil||25 ft-lbs.|
|Oil Pan||Engine Oil||15 ft-lbs.|
|Outer Main Cap Bolts||Engine||40 ft-lbs.|
|Rocker Arms||Engine Oil||20 ft-lbs.|
|Valve Cover||Engine Oil||10 ft-lbs.|
Other Ford F150 specs found along the way
- Torque specs, ball joint spindle nuts – 50 to 60 lb-ft for the Dana 44/50
- Torque specs, blower and intercooler
- Torque specs, 1983 351W
- Torque specs, 1985 F-150. 300 inline 6 intake gasket
- Torque specs, 2009-2013 Ford F150
1990 Ford F150 302 Engine Rebuild / Overhaul an Engine
Michael Thalis published an extensive series on YouTube of his experiences rebuilding his 1990 F150 302.